Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Be the first

So, here I am commenting on my queueing dilemma here but when we're given the chance to be first/the only one, then we don't feel 100% confident with that either. The last few days we have been to several places where no-one appears immediately visible. As Brits I think we do have a bit of a sheep mentality though - let's meekly follow where we see others as we don't want to stand out. Well there's no chance of merging into the background here - C,S & O really don't fall into the 'seen but not heard' category for a start....Here, it seems that one minute a place can appear closed and boarded up but within half an hour it's rocking. The Purple Turtle for instance was like that - the others went off to the sea and I stood patiently in the bar that was v.definitely closed thinking somebody will come along soon. Sure enough, Roy (easy name to remember) did and said give him 5 minutes to set up. By the time we left there was even a coach (ok mini bus) party there in full swing. Yesterday, we stopped for a sundowner at an hotel in Castle Comfort - you could hear a pin drop in the bar but I made Andy sit down and wait patiently, chill and enjoy the view. When we left Scarlett had got a nice little audience going with her taming a lizard party trick. Yes, she picks them up by the tail and they then seem to bond fairly well and I just cringe hoping she's not going to come anywhere near me whilst encouragingly saying, 'see, there's nothing to be afraid of' to the other two....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Photo (or better still, video)evidence of the "Taming the Lizard Trick", please.

Destination Dominica said...

Yep. When I'm finally on our home pc I will take lots of photos to back up all my stories - even the 1999 DP!